Foodie Friday – Fancy Fries
I love fries. That’s all there is too it. It is the one junk food I could not live without! Yes I realize there are no redeeming nutritional benefits from fries, but they are delicious. There are some great ways to make French fries healthier, like today’s example sweet potato fries.
Info: Sweet potatoes are orange because they are packed full of beta carotene, which our bodies use as vitamin A. They are also a source of fibre, folate, potassium and other minerals, however, so are regular potatoes. A benefit of sweet potatoes is they take less time to cook than the traditional white potato.
Inspiration: A craving for fries plus a sweet potato in the cupboard
Ingredients: One sweet potato, oil, balsamic vinegar, honey mustard, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper
1. Pre heat oven to 400°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix a tablespoon (or two) of oil with equal parts vinegar.
3. Add a tablespoon mustard and season with spices to taste. I use different spices every time!
4. Peel and chop sweet potato and toss in oil and spice mixture.
5. Place on a pan in one layer.
6. Bake until golden, usually about 20 minutes.
Results: Craving bested with deliciousness. Mine got a little too golden brown. I would suggest a flip at about 10 minutes!